Finding the best singing bowls for your meditation room or Reiki studio, can be a great way to expand a relaxation practice or Reiki experience. From crystal singing bowl sets to Tibetan singing bowls, each instrument create a soothing tone that promotes relaxation, and the physical act of producing these tones is likewise calming. Here are several of the most unique and best singing bowls on the market.
Reviews of the 9 Best Tibetan Singing Bowls, Plus 1 to Avoid
1.) Best Chakra Healing Singing Bowl: Janear International
- Best Chakra Healing Singing Bowl: Janear International Review: this bowl is handcrafted in Nepal and is a great choice for someone who may be buying for the first time, as it is a great value for its cost. This singing bowl by Janear International resonates on the pitch “G,” which represents the throat chakra, and is 4” in diameter, which makes it easily transportable and accessible for beginners to play. It is made of hammered metal and includes a wooden strike, hand sewn cushion and carrying bag, and Buddhist Prayer Flags that contain mantras.
- To watch the Best Chakra Healing Singing Bowl: Janear International Review on YouTube, click here.
2.) Best Quartz Singing Bowl: Topfund
- Best Quartz Singing Bowl: Topfund Review: crystal quartz singing bowls create a beautifully resonant tone with a very clear and pure timbre. Crystal singing bowls tend to be more expensive than metal bowls but are well worth the cost for the unique meditative tone they provide. Our body composition likewise responds and aligns to the vibration of this material because of crystalline structures of the brain, blood, bones, and DNA. Topfund singing bowls prides itself on providing the best quality quartz that is suitable for top-grade instruments. Likewise, the company absolutely replaces any bowls that may be damaged during transportation. The tone quality of this frosted bowl is unique to that of a transparent bowl. This particular bowl comes in a beautiful frosted green and resonates to “F,” which corresponds to the heart chakra. This Topfund singing bowl also includes a rubber base as well as a rubber mallet designed specifically for this instrument. This is a great addition to any meditation room or for Reiki practitioners looking to expand their collection of singing bowls.
- To watch the Best Quartz Singing Bowl: Topfund Review on YouTube, click here.
3.) Best Singing Bowl Set: Nepamart
- Best Singing Bowl Set: Nepamart Review: as discussed before, the different tones of singing bowls relate to our chakras, which is why sets generally come in the 7 tones of the C major scale. These bowls range from 2.8-5 inches in diameter and come with silk cushions and wooden mallets. The chakra symbols are painted on the bottom of each bowl. They are handcrafted and made of bell brass, which are alloys that contain the traditional metals copper and zinc. Buyers have noted the ease in response and tone from these bowls. The manufacturers, Nepamart, also provide a variety of meditation rugs, statues, and Pashminas.
- To watch the Best Singing Bowl Set: Nepamart Review on YouTube, click here.
- Dharma Store Review: the color choices for this bowl are absolutely beautiful, and energizing. They include black, blue, green, purple, and turquoise. The Darma Store bowls are about 4” in diameter and are made from the seven auspicious metals which each have their own healing properties (copper, brass, nickel, silver, mercury, zinc and gold). The pillow is hand sewn and comes in a square shape with long tassels. They also come with a prayer flag meant for hanging. While the tone is relaxing, it resonates at “F-sharp” which does not correspond to any of the chakras. The Dharma Store likewise sells vegan and yoga apparel and is a responsible choice.
- To watch the Dharma Store Review on YouTube, click here.
5.) Best Singing Bowl With Cushion: Silent Minds
- Best Singing Bowl With Cushion: Silent Minds Review: this beautiful bestseller is provided by Silent Minds. If you are focused on the aesthetics of your singing bowl this is a great option. This Silent Minds bowl comes in six different appearances with a corresponding silk cushion. It includes brass bowl with green cushion, blue bowl with blue cushion, brown bowl with red cushion, gold bowl with square and tasseled red cushion, black beaten bowl with orange cushion, and a special etched bowl with purple cushion. The beater is unique as it has an hourglass shape leather pencil-grip. The bowl is made of metal alloys, and Silent Minds even includes a sound sample for anyone considering a purchase. Additionally, the gold bowl is confirmed to associate with the crown chakra and also contains an e-book on meditation.
- To watch the Best Singing Bowl With Cushion: Silent Minds Review on YouTube, click here.
- DharmaObjects Review: this bowl is the least expensive of all the options, and this is because the DharmaObjects bowl does not come with a cushion, although it does come with a wooden mallet. It is hand etched with eight lucky symbols. Its diameter is slightly larger than 5 inches, which also makes it one of the larger bowls on this list. In some ways, it’s considered almost indestructible and is also childproof, in a sense. Clearly, it is simple and sturdy. Do keep in mind that if you’re having difficulty using the mallet provided, improving your playing technique may solve this issue.
- To watch the DharmaObjects Review on YouTube, click here.
7.) Best Singing Bowl with Mallet: Resonance Imports
- Best Singing Bowl with Mallet: Resonance Imports Review: for those that like minimalists aesthetics this is a wonderful choice, as it has a bright gold color with clean lines with no extraneous embellishments. The Resonance Imports bowls themselves are still handmade and therefore may still have some minute imperfections naturally. It comes with either a blue or black cushion with a nature-inspired trim as well as a wooden mallet. This particular bowl is very compact, as it comes in either a 2.5” or 3” diameter, so it is a good choice for anyone that may be introducing meditation to children. They are not tuned to a specific pitch, yet the high quality of the wooden mallet allows a clear tone to be produced. The mallet is also curved which facilitates a more responsive tone than a completely cylindrical mallet. Additionally, it comes with an e-book guide to help the player properly care for and play the instrument.
- To watch the Best Singing Bowl with Mallet: Resonance Imports Review on YouTube, click here.
- ShalinIndia Review: this is another quality and affordable singing bowl that has a hand-painted bronze, gold, and silver finish. The cushion is likewise made of authentic Tibetan fabric. This bowl presents a beautiful appearance as well as reliable sound quality. The manufacturer, ShalinIndia, produces several singing bowls as well as beautiful kitchenware and board games.
- To watch the ShalinIndia Review on YouTube, click here.
- Maya Bodhi Review: this hand-hammered brass bowl comes in beautiful packaging, and the inside of the bowl is embossed with an image of Buddha. The company, Maya Bodhi, prides itself on providing handmade and natural products, and this one is no exception. It comes with a lovely silk red cushion as well as a mallet, and is one of the most visually appealing choices from this review. In addition, the mallet comes with a section to grip with. The bowl is a little heavier than others of a similar diameter, which results in a rich tone and a fairly long delay for an instrument in this price range.
- To watch the Maya Bodhi Review on YouTube, click here.
- Hinky Imports Review: while the singing bowl looks visually appealing from the photo, the options above prove to be better quality. This singing bowl by Hinky Imports does not live up to the standards of some of the other’s in this review. The bowl and mallet are easily damaged and cracked as a result of limited use. Additionally, the ink design on this bowl both scratches and rubs off, and can even get on the players’ hands. This bowl can produce a tone through striking it but has difficulty sustaining a tone when the mallet is spun around the circumference.
- To watch the Hinky Imports Review on YouTube, click here.
2022 Best Tibetan Singing Bowls Buying Guide:
If this is your first time considering a Tibetan singing bowl, you are making a great choice! Along with including the best meditation music for your preferences, manually making sounds or full on sound immersion with singing bowls and tuning forks will absolutely expand meditation practice. Shopping for any instrument online requires a little extra research because you are not able to feel and hear the bowl first-hand, and there are many resources provided by the manufacturers to bridge this gap. To be sure you’re making an informed decision, here are a few extra factors to take into consideration.
Main Factors to Consider:
Factors to will influence your singing bowl experience, include the appearance of the bowl, what material it is made out of, the ease in playing response, and its timbre and frequency.
- Appearance: it is important to note that while these bowls have specific models, the majority are handmade and therefore will likely vary in size and shape, and likewise tone quality and pitch.
- Material: some manufactures provide an additional assortment of yoga and meditation related merchandise, while most manufacturers are passionate about the materials they use, others are focused on making products out of a specific material.
- Ease of play: all bowls are accessible on a beginner playing level, as creating sound and vibrations doesn’t require experience. To master a full kit with one bowl for each chakra, requires lots of extra practice.
- Timbre: the tone quality is determined by both the craftsmanship and material of the bowl and striker. Most bowls are made of metal alloys and have a balanced, ringing timbre. In general, the more auspicious metals present in a bowl the deeper and purer the tone will be. Some bowls are made of quartz instead, which has a purer and clearer tone quality in comparison.
- Frequency/Pitch: The pitch that your bowl resonates actually relates to balancing your chakras.
Do you know what pitch or key works with each chakra? Specific frequencies relate to specific chakras, and by playing with an entire seven bowl set to correspond to each chakra, you can effectively balance your chakras, as follows:
- the root chakra responds to a bowl that resonates on the pitch C
- sacral chakra to D
- solar plexus chakra to E
- heart chakra to F
- throat chakra to G
- third eye chakra to A
- and crown chakra to B
Are there different types of singing bowls?
Yes, there are many. For someone who is looking to expand into a collection of singing bowls, having options for different pitches is one main factor that separates a standalone singing bowl from a multi-piece instrument.
What are the benefits of meditating with a singing bowl?
Primarily, Tibetan bowls can be considered vibrational medicine and sound therapy, and will stimulate alpha and theta brain waves. Like many forms of healing, Tibetan singing bowls are kinesthetic in nature and their effectiveness is primarily determined by how they look, sound and feel.
While there are wonderful recordings of Tibetan singing bowls available to facilitate meditation and assist in adding depth of sound during your Reiki session, you will receive the most benefit by playing the bowls yourself, which is supported by evidence of music therapy.
Therefore, any audio or video clips of the product can be helpful to compare the bowls and decide which sounds and playing style are the most pleasing to you. Ultimately, you will benefit the most if you are the one playing the Tibetan singing bowl, even if it’s just for fun to feel light and loose.
How Do Tibetan Singing Bowls Work?
The bowls are played either by striking the side for a somewhat percussive yet sustained sound, or by rotating the mallet around the rim of the bowl, which creates a continuous sound. Technically, the bowls are considered standing bells with their under carriage on the floor, table or surface. As a result, the decorative cushions that come with some bowls are meant for design and aesthetic purpose and do not positively affect the quality of its sound, though they may hamper it.
Are there any other instruments like the Tibetan Singing bowl?
Other instruments that have traditionally been used in meditation include, for example, the Japanese shakuhachi flute. Another instrument used in meditation is the sarod, which is an Indian stringed instrument that creates a sustained “hum” as a focus point. These are both wonderfully relaxing instruments instruments to list to, although the singing bowl has a much simpler learning curve as far as playing goes.
Best Tibetan Singing Bowls (2022 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Tibetan Singing Bowl:
In conclusion, people will develop personal preferences to size, sound, and pitch once they have been introduced to different singing bowls. The most important factors to consider are the quality and craftsmanship of the material, as this most directly affects the tone quality. The visual appearance of the bowl is often the biggest difference between bowls. May you explore singing bowls as a means to achieve a sense of calm and happiness!
Thanks in advance for leaving a comment below and please pin and share this article if you find it helpful in any way 🙂
Singing Bowls says
Yes, you are true regarding the tones of singing bowls. If the vibration produced by a singing bowl is not good, it is useless. While choosing a singing bowl, one should first see if it is not damaged. Even if a small hole in the singing bowl would hamper its sound production.
I just bought my first bowl. Its 5″ handmade from brass. I chose it by ear in the store by tapping the side with the wood mallet. When I got it home, I played the ring and used a guitar tuner to identify it’s note. B flat it’s quite nice actually 🙂 Could be a slippery slope, lol in that I think I now would like more of them in different tones!