Binaural beats are specialised tracks that play different frequencies in each ear. The difference between the frequencies is called the binaural beat. The best headphones for binaural beats will target each ear with a specific frequency, with the aim of keeping the sound as accurate and natural as possible. Binaural beats headphones will include as close to the perfect blend of audio clarity, comfort and fit, as possible. Binaural audio can help people to relax, increase focus, reduce anxiety and overcome challenging emotions that may block your ability to let go during meditation, just as in a sound healing bath with a crystal singing bowl for example. In essence, they’re designed to enhance therapeutic effects and produce a meditative state. Below are five top-rated headphones for binaural beats, plus two you may want to avoid.
Reviews of the 5 Best Headphones for Binaural Beats, Plus 2 to Avoid
- Audio-Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by Audio-Technica Review: Providing exceptional clarity and an extended frequency range, these headphones are the best headphones for binaural beats of 2022. Their critically acclaimed performance make them perfect for listening to detailed, crystal clear, binaural beats. Their best quality is that they can reproduce sound without any colouring, meaning sound is heard as it is, without enhancement. The soft padding around the ears make these comfortable to wear for long periods of time, and the lightness means you could easily forget they are even on your head at all. Although Audio-Technica Professional Headphones are not noise cancelling headphones, they are still great at blocking external background noise. These headphones work perfectly no matter what device you plug them into; purchasing these will undoubtedly change the way you listen to audio forever.
- To watch the Audio-Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by Audio-Technica Review on YouTube, click here.
- Cozyphones Sleep Headphones by CozyPhone Review: Listening to music as you fall asleep might seem strange, however, research suggests that binaural beats can actually speed up the process, and help you enter a deeper state of relaxation. There are even binaural tracks designed to work through each of the frequencies required to encourage a more peaceful sleep. The best way to do this is to invest in a good pair of sleep headphones. These Cozyphones Sleep Headphones, come with a comfortable, extra wide, sleep band that also doubles as an eye mask. If you suffer from insomnia or are prone to a racing mind just as you get into bed, securing these headphones in place and listening to some binaural beats could be just the remedy you need. These headphones are pain free, block noise and light, allowing you to relax anywhere, at anytime.
- To watch the Cozyphones Sleep Headphones by CozyPhone Review on YouTube, click here.
- Etymotic Research Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by Etymonic Research Review: These headphones boast the ability to reproduce sound to be as close as possible to the that of a live performance. The manufacturer, Etymonic Research, claims to create headphones with the highest response accuracy of all in-ear headphones, and this specific set definitely reflects that. Etymotic Research Earphones have a special ‘screw’ system to secure them in your ear. If this alarms you, don’t worry, you just need to take a little extra care when inserting and removing them. They are designed this way to completely eliminate background noise and provide a full immersive sound experience. What’s more, all Etymotic’s products come with a warranty, and will replace any damaged or broken headphones for free. Your package will not only include the best earbud headphones for binaural beats, but also a carrying pouch, different sized ear tips and a filter removal top.
- To watch the Etymotic Research Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by Etymonic Research Review on YouTube, click here.
- Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones by Sony Review: Although noise cancellation is not a requirement for binaural beats, it certainly helps create a meditative experience. These headphones by Sony are some of the best noise cancelling headphones on the market by leading the industry in eliminating background noise and distractions. They make for extremely easy listening by the innovative use of touch control. Want to change the track, turn down the volume or take a call? Simply touch the headphone! The high resolution audio creates a powerful listening experience. Every aspect of the audio can be heard and any distortion is dramatically reduced. The Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones come with a carry case, a usb cable, connection cable, plug adapter and an owners manual. All of this including their impressive sound quality and distraction free nature make them the best sony headphones for binaural beats on the market.
- To watch the Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones by Sony Review on YouTube, click here.
- Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones by Bose Review: Bose are famous for first-class performance in their wireless headphones. This particular pair provide a deep, immersive sound experience at any volume, and in any environment. The latest bluetooth technology means you can easily connect to your phone, tablet, or laptop. What’s more, you can connect to more than one device at any given time, meaning you can easily switch between phone calls and listening to binaural beats on your tablet, so you will be able to hear incoming phone calls whilst you are listening to audio on a separate device. Touch controls make for simple manipulation of tracks, calls and volumes. The uncompromising wireless sound experience make these the best Bose SoundLink Headphones for binaural beats on the market. These headphones come with a case, a usb cable and a connecting cable.
- To watch the Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones by Bose Review on YouTube, click here.
- AcousticSheep SleepPhones Class Sleep Headphones by SleepPhones Review: These headphones claim to be some of the most comfortable and bed-friendly headphones on the market. At first glance, this would appear to be correct as they come inserted into a cosy looking headband, stating to be durable and noise cancelling. Unfortunately, the opposite is true. The manufacturing of AcousticSheep SleepPhones Headphones is careless and they are prone to breakage and technical issues. Despite claiming to be comfortable whilst sleeping, they feel lumpy, and the headband makes the head too hot for a peaceful sleep. The sound is often muffled and occasionally only half the audio can be heard. With all this in mind, these are the worst binaural beats headphones on the market. To avoid disappointment and get to most out of your binaural experience, opt for one of the headphone sets above.
- To watch the AcousticSheep SleepPhones Class Sleep Headphones by SleepPhones Review on YouTube, click here.
- Sony Extra Bass Over the Head Headphones by Sony Review: Sony is usually a trusted manufacturer of all things tech, and these headphones seem to be perfect for binaural beats. They come with noise isolating ear pads, which not only provide a comfortable fit, but also significantly reduce background noise. A tightly sealed acoustic design allows for a powerful and immersive sound experience. However, the only problem with the Sony Extra Bass Headphones is that they experience frequent technical issues. Many buyers find they can use them without problems, but only for a few months. At a high price you would expect these headphones to last much longer. Avoid these headphones for binaural beats to make sure you aren’t disappointed with your purchase.
- To watch the Sony Extra Bass Over the Head Headphones by Sony Review on YouTube, click here.
2022 Buyers Guide to the Best Headphones for Binaural Beats
There are four kinds of binaural beat frequency patterns:
- Delta, which connects to sleeping without dreams.
- Theta, related to the REM (rapid eye movement) phase of sleep, creativity and meditation.
- Alpha, promotes relaxation.
- Beta, which is related to connection.
When looking for the best headphones for binaural beats, there are a few things you will need to consider in order to experience these patterns. How, when and where you will be using your new headphones is vital to the style you purchase. For example, you will need to consider the effects of background noise, and the level of comfort the headphones provide. Below are the three main points to consider before purchasing a set of binaural beats headphones.
3 Main Points to Consider
- Where will you use them: Where and how you will be using your headphones will play a huge role in the type of headphones you should chose. If you are going to be listening to binaural beats in a loud environment (for example when commuting), you should consider a pair of noise cancelling headphones in order to avoid interference from background noise. What’s more, if you will be using these headphones while travelling, opt for a wireless pair to avoid loose wires and unnecessary complications. If you will be using these headphones in the evening, consider a comfortable pair of sleep headphones. Comfort should play an important role in choosing your purchase. For use in your own home you can really splash out on comfort. Big headphones with extra padded ears make for a easier and more cosy listening experience. You will be able to close your eyes and enter a deep state relaxation, encouraged by stress-relieving binaural beats.
- What is your budget: For many of us, the more we learn about sound, the more interested we are in the quality of headphones, but a high price does not always equate to a higher quality. The fact is, you will be able to listen to binaural beats on almost any pair of headphones. Most headphones on the market have the capacity to facilitate the frequencies required for binaural beats. However, if you enjoy this kind of ambient audio and want to enhance the listening experience, it will be worth investing in a pair of headphones that will produce the optimum environment for binaural beats. The pair of headphones you choose should produce a high quality sound and be comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time. Are you a daily binaural beats listener, or do you save the experience for when you have enough time to engage and relax? The time you will spend listening will dictate how much you are willing to invest in new pair of headphones, and the style you opt for.
- The quality of the sound: When buying a pair of headphones for binaural beats, you will want a pair that interferes with the sound as little as possible. A good pair of headphones will deliver the music as it was supposed to be heard. This being said, it doesn’t matter how good the headphones are if the music is of a low quality. The lower the standard of audio, the more compromised the listening experience will be. Many headphones come with a bass booster and EQ settings, however, it is best to turn these off to decrease interference with the audio. It may not always be the case that someone needs better headphones, but rather that they need a higher quality music source.
Do binaural beats work without headphones?
In short, no; a good pair of headphones are required for getting the most out of binaural beats. Binaural beats work by producing two tones, one heard in the right ear, and the other heard in the left. This in turn gives rise to a third tone produced in your brain. The tones need to be heard clearly in each ear for this to work, and without headphones, it simply isn’t possible. You want your headphones to play the sound with clarity without enhancing it. As long as your headphones state the frequency response to be 20hz-20khz, they will be great for listening to binaural beats.
Best Headphones for Binaural Beats (2022 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying the Best Headphones for Binaural Beats
When listening to binaural beats, the aim is to stimulate brainwave entrainment in order to really submerse yourself in a meditative experience. Similar to finding a meditation chair to support your back, a cushion to sit on and unwind or a meditation bench for posture, binaural beats headphones serve as a conduit to an enhanced meditative state. External distractions, noises and poor music quality may inhibit you from achieving this state. Choose a comfortable, long-lasting pair of headphones to provide pleasurable listening and deliver brainwave entertainment. With this guide, you have hopefully gained some insight into choosing the best headphones for binaural beats.