There are two essential tools required in meditation: yourself and a comfortable place to sit, supporting your back and body, allowing you to let go without getting distracted by discomfort. Meditation requires a focused mind in order to tap into a flow-like state. Relaxing the body, free of discomfort and pain, is a method to achieving flow. Often, this is accomplished with the assistance of the best meditation chair with back support that offers comfort, quality, value, and durability. Whether you are a sound healer looking to support your students, or a seeker interested in enhancing your personal meditation practice, you’ll find some helpful insights in this guide!
Reviews of the 7 Best Meditation Chair with Back Support, Plus the Worst 1 to Avoid
- Friends of Meditation Back Jack Yoga and Meditation Chair Review: Designed by an Osho Meditation facilitator and practitioner, Swami Dhyan Unmesh, the Friends of Meditation Back Jack chair is an excellent choice, especially for your first meditation chair. The straight, supportive backrest keeps you upright and comfortable, making it a particular favorite for customers with spinal and disc challenges. This is one of the best meditation chairs because it is extremely durable, with the ability to support a max weight of 350 pounds and clients over 6 feet tall. This chair is also easily foldable and comes with a free carrying case so you can take your meditation practice absolutely anywhere. For readers who own a meditation studio, Friends of Meditation offers bulk deals for sets in 2, 4, and 8 at discounted prices. Additional bonus? Friends of Meditation is currently offering an upgraded model of this favorite, which includes bigger sizes and additional features, such as neck and lower back cushions.
- Gaiam Balance Ball Chair Review: The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is an excellent option for those who do not want to sit on the floor or have difficulty crouching down to floor level. The Gaiam Ball chair allows you to sit upright with your feet firmly planted on the floor in a comfortable, relaxed, and supported manner. The added magic of investing in a ball chair is that it not only supports healthier back, but also helps build one. The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair also features a sturdy design that provides additional additional neck and spinal support with backrest, safe to use (won’t roll around if you accidently doze off: there are back locks on the wheels to keep you in place). It’s extremely durable, sustaining up to 300 pounds of weight. The Gaiam Balance Ball also comes in a variety of fun colors and a convenient air pump so you can get started right away!
- Alexia Meditation Seat “Ergonomically Correct for the Human Physiology” Zen Yoga Ergonomic Chair Foam Cushion Home or Office
- Alexia Meditation Seat “Ergonomically Correct for the Human Physiology” Zen Yoga Ergonomic Chair Foam Cushion Home or Office Review: The Alexia Meditation Seat is an incredible investment for meditation practitioners who suffer from chronic neck, back, and sciatica pain. Made from high-quality neoprene foam and designed to ergonomically correct for maladaptive posture, the Alexia Meditation Seat is designed to support nearly every muscle in your lower back, sit bones, knees, and feet. Although the chair allows for only one type of seated pose (lotus pose), it is a classic meditation pose for a reason: it reduces hip and lower back tension, grounding your spine. This cushion allows you to sit in this pose comfortably and with enough support to not press your weight on the rest of your lower body, which can exacerbate existing conditions or create new ones. Given its boastful statistic of zero unsatisfied customers, the Alexia Meditation chair is a worthy investment for a noble, health-centered cause. It is an excellent choice for those who have an advanced practice that goes beyond the traditional 30-minute practice since it can provide endless comfort and durable support for longer sessions.
- Back Jack Floor Chair (Original BackJack Chairs) Review: The Back Jack Floor Chair is the simplest and most affordable meditation chair on the market, making it an ideal purchasing option for the novice meditator. Its simple design allows you to fold it open and sit on the floor with the support of its durable neck and spine support. This is also a great starter meditation chair for anyone who isn’t sure that their comfort needs are but would like to start incorporating a meditation chair into their practice. This is also one of the best meditation chairs for creating a mediation room because it is a nice and easy to use option for anyone who is just starting out with owning and managing a meditation studio. It’s a simple purchase for your classes and the chairs easily stack on top of each other, making them relatively efficient to store away when not in use.
- Zen Comfort – Memory Foam Seat Cushion Review: The Zen Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion is a comparable alternative to the Alexia Meditation Seat, but without the hefty price take. The Zen Comfort Memory Foam seat has many of the same features as the Alexia, such as high-quality foam that is intentionally designed to suit your individual comfort needs. Comfort aside, what’s also really lovely about this chair is that it is incredibly portable: it can easily attach to your favorite chair at home while meditating with a DVD or at work on break while listening to your favorite mediation music. It is also approved for air travel and comes with an easy to use carry on strap and bag with purchase. Additionally, this is the only meditation chair product that allows wheelchair users to use, which makes it an affordable and inclusive chair option.
- Ikuko Wooden Meditation Bench Bluecony Review: The Ikuko Wooden Meditation Bench is a traditionalist meditation chair option, especially for anyone who practices the Zen tradition of meditation. Although it is referred to as a bench, this model very much functions like a chair. This type of style is specifically designed or anyone who has difficulty sitting upright or cross legged. By getting into a kneeling position, the spine is more comfortably aligned with your knees and feet, and there is little to no risk of getting that “pins and needles” feeling in this position. The Ikuko Wooden Meditation bench features a beautiful, polished wood design that is not only charming, but also incredibly durable with the ability to support up to 300 pounds and any height. This model is a nice option for traditionalists who practice Zen meditation. It also makes a very nice gift for anyone who is a Zen meditation enthusiast.
- Portable Floor Chair, MEMORY FOAM Seat, Folding Chair BJ Industries Review: Believe it or not, this is the only meditation chair on the market that features an adjustable seat back. The BJ Industries Portable Floor Chair boasts five different, adjustable angles to suit your meditation comfort needs on the floor. Its memory foam seat is also an incredibly thoughtful and comfortable touch. This chair comes in a variety of colors and sizes to suit various height and weight needs. Its affordable price, comfort, quality, and variety makes it an ideal purchase for those who own a meditation studio. The BJ Industries chair is a nice upgrade or more comfortable compliment to other straight back chairs listed above.
- Rio Adventure My Pod Seat Rio Brands Review: One to Avoid! Watch out: you definitely get what you pay for with the Rio Adventure My Pod Seat. Although it is a popular meditation chair, it’s not at all engineered for meditation. Made of low-grade, unsupportive materials, this chair is not meant to last over time or hold a significant amount of body weight over time. It’s back support is incredibly lacking and flimsy, making this a possibly harmful option for meditators with back problems. No price tag is worth the discomfort and poor quality of this chair. Remember: your body is always an investment and you will get what you pay for if you try to take a shortcut with a cheaper option that is unsuitable for your intended use.
Top 3 Brands of Mediation Chairs:
- Friends of Meditation: If you’ve been on the hunt for a quality meditation chair, chances are you’ve seen this brand listed virtually everywhere online. Friends of Meditation is a preferred choice for all types of meditation practitioners because of its affordable, high-quality, and versatile catalogue of meditation chairs, clothing and accessories. Friends of Meditation is more than just a one-stop shop for all your meditation needs: its brand is founded by a devout meditation practitioner and holistic healer, Swami Dhyan Unmesh. All of Friends of Meditation’s products are handcrafted and produced in Unmesh’s native country of India. Unmesh’s vision for Friends of Meditation is to provide all customers with authentic, quality products to enhance their meditation practice.
- BackJack: BackJack didn’t intend to achieve celeb-status in the meditation chair market. They were originally designed to provide comfortable, portable seating for camping and sporting events. The sheer simplicity, portability, and versatility of BackJack floor chairs have made them a go-to meditation chair for not only individual practitioners but also group facilitators and meditation center owners. BackJack chairs are also one of the few products on the market that you can try-before-you-buy, since they are located offline in a variety of camping, sporting, and even select department stores. Unassuming and simple in design, BackJack is an easy choice if you are just getting started on your meditation journey or are looking for an affordable, high-quality product to support your meditation class and center needs.
- Alexia: Alexia Nascimento Roizner, a devout Zen practitioner and entrepreneur, teamed up with her husband to combine her vision with his expertise in textile engineering to create the most ergonomically engineered meditation chair on the market. Alexia Meditation Seats are technologically engineered to ensure that any and all meditation practitioners are able to comfortably and safely achieve the traditional cross-legged, lotus or sukhasana pose in their practice. Alexia firmly believes that meditation should never come at the risk of injury or discomfort and that a healthy mind depends on the peace of knowing that your body is supported and safe. Alexia Meditation Seats are well worth their price tag not only for their therapeutic and clinical grade support, but also their exquisite craftsmanship and design.
2018 Guide to the Best Meditation Chair with Back Support:
Congratulations! You are ready to commit to your meditation practice by investing in the perfect chair to suit your needs. No matter your experience level with meditation – whether you are just getting started or have been practicing (and even teaching) for several years – the meditation chair is an essential component of your practice and is an invaluable investment for your physical and mental well being. Since meditation chairs are all about comfort, you’ll want to consider what your personal comfort needs are for your meditation practice. Here are some key questions you should answer for yourself when considering your meditation chair purchase:
- Can I easily sit on the floor?
- Do I want to sit on the floor?
- What is the most comfortable position for my legs?
- Do my legs need to be planted on the ground while sitting up straight, or can they bent at a tighter angle?
- Am I more comfortable sitting on the floor cross-legged, or do I need to be sitting up right?
- How upright do I need to sit?
- Do I like structured, back and spine support, or do I prefer feeling grounded and supported with a comfortable but firm seat?
3 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Meditation Chair:
- Spinal and Muscular Health Needs: Sitting consumes a significant majority of our daily lives. If you suffer from back, neck, sciatica, muscular, or podiatry issues, you are already well aware of the importance of ensuring that your body is supported sufficiently and that your environment won’t contribute to any additional harm on your body. If you aren’t sure about what your body’s needs are, spend some time observing how your body feels when you sit on the floor, sit in a chair, and sit on a soft surface. If you shift a lot, take notes on what is making you uncomfortable and be sure to get a meditation chair that suits your comfort needs.
- Cost for Comfort: Similar to shopping for a mattress, a meditation chair should be able to be both cost-effective and comfortable. Of course, the more intense and responsive the technology for meeting a variety of posture and spinal health needs, the more expensive the product will be. If it’s tempting to break the bank, remember that sometimes, less is actually more. The simplest models in this article can get you started without the sacrifice of comfort.
- Location: Where you choose to meditate will inform what type of meditation chair you will purchase. You have a variety of options, some of which are portable, and others of which are more suitable for indoor use. Decide where you want to meditate and how you will need to transport your meditation chair.
Types of Meditation Chairs:
- Folding Chair: These meditation chairs look like beach chairs, but without the legs. Folding chairs are strictly for floor use. They allow you to sit upright on the floor and give you flexibility to arrange your legs however you need to: cross-legged, curled up, or in a resting, straight position. Some folding chairs have adjustable seat backs in case sitting straight up isn’t comfortable. All folding chairs are portable and typically come with a carrying case for easy storage and travel. These are the most common types of meditation chairs.
- Cushion: The cushion is a traditional meditation “chair”; however, the cushions have featured in this article have an ortho-friendly take depending on your spinal and muscular needs. Cushions typically do not have a back support; however, they are designed to support your spine with malleable, strong, and supportive foam or rubber ball that allows you comfortably sit up right.
- Kneeling / Bench: The meditation bench is another traditional “chair”. The bench is unique in that it allows the user to kneel instead of sit. This allows the user to take the pressure off of their back and lower spine because they are in a comfortable, forward reclining position as opposed to your typical, leaning back and sitting up straight type of meditation chair. This is a good option to consider if you have severe back and neck pain because of its design.
What is a meditation chair and why do people love them?
Meditation chairs are specially designed chairs to support your back, sit bones, legs, and overall posture so that your full attention is on your meditation practice (instead of, for example, your feet feeling like pins and needles or the aching discomfort of your lower back).
Meditation chairs are heaven sent for anyone suffering from lower back and/or posture issues because they fully support the back, spine, neck, and legs so that sitting still isn’t an agonizing experience. Even if you don’t suffer from back, neck, or leg pain, there’s a good chance you might take for granted how you sit and how often you are sitting and its short and long term effects on your health. Since meditation is a healthy practice, it would be a waste to ignore the health benefits of a meditation chair.
It might seems silly to purchase a separate chair just for meditation, but let’s consider the alternatives: do you want to feel uncomfortable trying to do something that is supposed to calm you down and bring you peace?
People love meditation chairs because it allows them to enjoy and receive the full benefits of meditation because they are not distracted by any discomfort, aches, or pains in their body while they are meditating. Many people intentionally avoid meditating because they fear that they will be in pain. Meditation chairs have changed many lives by providing simple yet transformative comfort and allowing people to benefit from a meditation practice.
How to implement your meditation chair in your daily life?
It’s been scientifically proven that habits form faster if they are woven into your everyday life as a ritual. Investing in a meditation chair allows you to create a ritual for your meditation practice by designating a specific space to meditate.
If you have been trying to meditate or meditate more frequently (or, even for longer periods of time), you may find that you get restless or uncomfortable in your current environment. Surfaces and furniture such as the bed, floor, chair, beach towel, picnic blanket, pillow, car seats, sofa, and even a recliner are popular spots for meditation. Although these environments may be convenient and conducive for meditation, you’ll still need to establish some sort of special, ritualistic practice that lets your mind and body know you’re serious about cultivating a meditation practice.
Meditation chairs are intentionally designed for this purpose: they are portable, durable, lightweight, and can be incorporated into a variety of indoor and outdoor environments; and, are accessibly able to be brought on or into planes, cars, and wheelchairs. In order to successfully implement your meditation chair into your daily life, you should choose the chair that best suits your everyday needs and allows your practice to be comfortable, sacred, and different from the rest of your day. Additionally, you should also take care to not use your meditation chair for any other purpose (such as a replacement for a desk or office chair, pillow, or even a comfortable place to watch television). Using the meditation chair for other purposes takes away from its special place as a tool for meditating and won’t allow you to develop a healthy, habitual ritual of using it regularly and exclusively for your meditation practice.
How to Sit for Meditation
Final Thoughts on Finding One of the Best Meditation Chairs with Back Support:
I hope you are ready to make the investment in your meditation journey – the perfect meditation chair awaits! This is an essential step in strengthening your commitment to your practice. Choosing the best meditation chair is an intentional commitment to your health, safety and comfort as well. No matter what your needs are, as you can see above, there are meditation chairs to support virtually every shape, size, and need you have no matter how long you have been meditating for. Thanks in advance for leaving a comment below and please pin and share this article if you find it helpful in any way 🙂